Below is the recipe to cook a homemade Puto pao.
RECIPE puto pao
½ kilo pork, chopped
3 tbsp cooking oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 red onion, minced
2 tbsp cornstarch (diluted in ¼ cup water)
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup sugar
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 cups water
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 tbsp. baking powder
4 tbsp. powdered milk
1½ cup sugar
½ tsp. Salt
3½ cup water
½ cup butter, melted
4 salted eggs, sliced
¼ block cheddar cheese, grated
– Heat oil and saute garlic and onion. Add pork and stir fry until brown.
– Mix in soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce and sugar. Add 2 cups of water and simmer for 45 minutes.
– Add diluted cornstarch and stir until thick. Set aside and let cool.
– Grease puto molds/muffin pan.
– In a large bowl, combine, flour, baking powder, powdered milk, sugar and salt. In another bowl, beat eggs and water together.
– Add egg mixture to flour mixture little by little while stirring. After, mix in melted butter until smooth.
– Fill molds/muffin pans half full with puto batter. Scoop 1 tbsp of pork asado into the mold. Pour puto batter on top just enough to cover the filling. Top with a slice of salted egg and grated cheese.
– Arrange in a steamer and cook for 10-15 mins.